We chose to be part of the protest that was held in favor of Palestine at the Beehive last wednesday. As I stood there listening to the speeches I felt blessed, privileged enough for the choice I had. The option that I can to come out of my home, hold a placard and support the cause is rare in this world.
The liberty that I can roam freely, practice my belief with freedom while living in a non-Muslim state is precious. The fact that I have equal rights as anyone else inhibiting this land is valuable.
There are people in the world who can’t even think about doing the same even while they are living in their own homeland, they aren’t safe in their own homes, they live in this constant fear of death looming over their heads all the time, they are losing their loved ones with every passing day.
One cannot imagine how they must be feeling, its incomprehensible.
This feeling of preciousness, liberation, power to choose, privilege comes with a responsibility. The responsibility to choose right, to support the victimized, to lend a hand to people in need, to raise voice for the oppressed.
We will be asked questions about all the blessings we are enjoying in this life on the day of judgement, what would we say then?
Pick your option wisely, use your voice judiciously, start using your influence intelligently.
Don’t just keep sitting as if nothing is happening just because it’s not happening to you. Take a stand and do something in your capacity and within your reach.
Your stance matters, your voice is impactful. Don’t underestimate it, don’t waste it.
Put your privilege to better use,
use it for the greater cause.
Why should I take stand for Palestine issue?
- Humanity is at stake –
Innocent lives including children who have just come in this cruel world are being bombed just to satisfy the hunger of man to occupy more land. If you are not moved by the situation than what will implore you to raise your voice?
- Al Quds is a sacred place for the Muslims all around the world. It’s the first Qibla and the third holiest site as mentioned in the Holy Quran and Hadith.
[17:1] ‘Glory be to the One Who took His servant ˹Muḥammad˺ by night from the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque whose surroundings We have blessed, so that We may show him some of Our signs. Indeed, He alone is the All-Hearing, All-Seeing‘.
Abu Hurairah (Allah be pleased with him) reported it directly from Allah’s Apostle (ﷺ) that he said:
Do not undertake a journey to visit any Mosque, but three: this Mosque of mine, the Mosque of al-Haram and the Mosque of Aqsa (Bait al-Maqdis).
It was narrated that Maimunah the freed (female) slave of the Prophet (ﷺ) said:
I said: “O Messenger of Allah, tell us about Baitil- Maqdis.” He said: “It is the land of the Resurrection and the Gathering. Go and pray there, for one prayer there is like one thousand prayers elsewhere.” I said: “What if I cannot travel and go there?” He said: “Then send a gift of oil to light its lamps, for whoever does that is like one who goes there.”
- Allah ta’ala directed Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) to Al Aqsa where he led the group of Prophets in congregation before he was raised to sky on the night of Isra and Mairaj.
- The land has seen many prophets in various times including Hazrat Ibrahim (Abraham), Hazrat Lut, Hazrat Yaqub (Jacob), Hazrat Yusuf (Joseph) to name a few.
- Our fellow Muslims are suffering as a result of settlers colonialism, they are unable to breath freely in their own homeland.
Nu’man b. Bashir reported that Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said: ‘Muslims are like one body of a person; if the eye is sore, the whole body aches, and if the head aches, the whole body aches’
We should feel the pain they must be going through, they are protecting our blessed and sacred site with everything they possess. They need us to help them out. They deserve it, not only changing our DPs on social media in the colors of Palestinian flag but help that can actually make a difference, no matter how small.
How can I help the cause of Palestine?
Now that the matter has gone towards ceasefire, our responsibility doesn’t end here. Remember, our goal is to get Palestine free from the oppression and illegal occupation. Keep doing your bit, every single step counts and earns you rewards. Don’t feel guilty that you aren’t able to do much, Allah ta’ala has chosen the place you are at and you can only do certain things that are possible within your capacity. Some of those are:
- Educate yourself: It’s not a conflict rather a case of settler’s colonialism. There’s too much information floating on the internet at the moment. Focus on the precise and correct ones.
- Create Awareness: Keep talking about it with your friends, colleagues, teachers. Start conversations, it encourages people to dig in more.
- Donate: This is the best we could do. Help them with the money you’re blessed with. (refer to the hadith related to sending oil to Al Aqsa stated above)
- Boycott the brands funding Israel & Join/sign BDS movements: Lots of misleading information is going around regarding this as well. Do your research or follow the trusted information only because if you boycott wrong brands than it could serve as blow on various innocent lives too.
- Show support with brands supporting Palestine: very few but they do exist.
- Peacefully Protest: Raise your voice and concerns in peaceful manner to the authorities wherever in the world you are and you are in the capacity to do it.
- Pray: A Muslim’s strongest weapon indeed when done with conviction and belief that Allah ta’ala is going to hear inshaa Allah.
What to do for ourselves?
And most importantly, In the process of educating and keeping yourself updated, don’t get carried away too much. I fell a victim to the same and all I felt was sad, low, down, anxious, depressed, helpless and hopeless. Remember, this all is happening according to Allah ta’ala’s divine plan. One can’t even blink an eye if Allah ta’ala doesn’t wills.
This situation is a trial for us all in so many different ways. Allah ta’ala puts everyone to test. Some are tested with blessings and some are tested with hardships. All we need to do is choose the right side and do whatever we can within our limits and leave the rest to Him, for he is the al-baseer, as-samee and al-aleem.
@thementalfootprint has shared some amazing ideas on how to strike balance in this whole situation. Do check her post in case you are struggling with it
May Allah help the oppressed and may we get to see free Palestine soon inshaa Allah.
Some useful accounts that are doing their best to bring out the correct information
@subhi.taha has some very precise videos related to the issue
@bdscommittee to stay updated with their latest BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) campaigns
@shehzeen.r has shared a fundraiser and has initiated a BDS campaign with @bdsinaustralia to #boycottHP. Do sign it, it takes a total of 30 seconds to do that.
@maryamishtiaq sharing amazing information about #dropTheBrands (boycotting brands supporting Israel) and also the brands that are benefiting Palestine
@storyofstyle doing her best to share the same
@thespiceofadulting has shared an exhaustive post about Al Quds and it’s historical importance
@meera_adnan reporting live from Gaza and doing a fundraiser
@eye.on.palestine for authentic news